Graphic Fundamentals Workshop
Monday, October 05, 2015 at 09:00 AM
New Dawn Centre for Social Innovation | 37 Nepean St · Sydney, NS B1P6A7 · Canada · Google map and directions
Graphic Fundamentals Workshop is a fun, easy, hands-on introductory workshop on using basic visuals, graphics and images in your group work to encourage interactive, engaging, and productive meetings. Designed to build confidence in incorporating graphics and visuals into group meetings, the session is chock-full of opportunities to put your knowledge into practice.
No previous drawing experience necessary! No matter how small or big your talent, you will take your first visual steps on large paper and learn how to use small details to make spaces look clear, attractive, and lively. You will work alone and in small groups and there will be lots of time to answer your questions.
In this interactive two-day course led by graphic recorder Corrie Melanson, you will learn the basics of graphic language and its potential to enhance your facilitation/meeting effectiveness.
- Understand the principles and benefits of visual thinking and learning
- Acquire basic techniques for drawing simple shapes, icons, and people
- Learn the effective use of colour and graphic metaphors
- Translate abstract concepts into concrete images
- Walk away with your own inventory of ready-made icons
- Practice adding visuals to a variety of facilitation processes
- Create illustrative posters and charts for standard meeting visuals like agendas, group agreements, small group discussions, and reflections
- Capture "live" meeting results such as lists, brainstorming and action plans in more memorable ways, with powerful titles and meaningful images
- Put it all together to create templates for different meeting outcomes
Facilitator: Corrie Melanson’s passion for visuals comes from witnessing the benefits of visuals for thinking and learning.Corrie is an experienced process facilitator, trainer, and graphic recorder based in Halifax, NS. As a graphic recorder, Corrie listens intently to capture key messages and outcomes, propelling group work to a new level of understanding and action. Her work with participants maximizes group dynamics, validates different learning styles, interests, and opinions while focusing on key objectives and outcomes.
Cost: Aligned with our mission to help build community capacity, the New Dawn People’s School is happy to announce that it will be subsidizing the registration fee for all on-Island participants. Regular cost to attend is over $600 per person. Registration fees includes all materials (markers, pastels, sketchbook etc.), as well as nutrition breaks daily. There will be a one-hour lunch break each day (lunch not included).
$325.00 - Organizations and Business
$225.00 – Non-profits
To register, click here.